Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mother Nature - give me a break

I've got gray hair. You would never know it, but it's there. It's been coming faster and faster over the years, but now I think I'm really in trouble. I remember the good old days when I only had to pay attention maybe every eight or nine weeks. I used to go to a really great hairdresser (is that what they're called these days? stylist? I don't know) in Scottsdale and then she moved to the new Dolce salon down in Chandler. It was right after they opened the 101 and I could cruise down the barely used freeway in about 20 minutes. Not bad for an every two month root job. Then I started having to go every seven weeks, then six. People started to use the freeway, turning my every five week appointment into an entire afternoon excursion. Plus, every year my hairdresser's rates would increase by $5 per service, so when I'd get cut, color, highlights - it was 15 bucks more each time. And it seemed with each increase, she would get more help. First one of her "assistants" would come get me from the waiting area since she couldn't be bothered, then one would wash my hair, a different one would blow dry it. The last time I drove down there (by then it took at least 45 minutes to get through the traffic) she was coloring half of my head while her little elf was doing the other side. So I found a lady closer to home, right by my office in Old Town. And it's a good thing. I'm stopping in every three weeks these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment