Sunday, May 16, 2010

Maahhmm, I'm bored!


Shana's been home for a week and I've already heard the "I'm bored" whine. She finished her finals early so she was stuck in Phoenix for several days sans friends, but she got her closet cleaned, joined a gym and helped her grandmother plant some flowers. Beach towels are spread all over the patio and I can just feel the water bill doubling, so I know she's home for awhile, but it didn't occur to me that I needed to plan out her schedule anymore, make some play dates, organize some field trips. I guess I just got out of the habit. But this could be the last summer where I have total control. She's home for her last year as a Peer Leader for Workshop (sign up your kids now, you can thank me later) but next summer, who knows where she'll be. No more kids running around at all hours of the night. So the other day I forced her and Jordan into SMOCA to see the musical exhibit and then next door for the text messaging show. They loved it. I even overheard Jordan on the phone with his mom saying that it was "really cool." See, I know what I'm doing. Lately, we've had some movies, a meal-planning trip to the grocery store followed by soup-making and a Saturday night out on the town with Dad.
 I gave her a good book to read and there's an upcoming walk to the library in our future. But if I hear just one more "I'm bored," Camp Sullivan is going into full swing, 7am wake up, up and out, museums, day trips, morning nature walks and arts and crafts activities featuring macramé God's eyes. She won't know what hit her.

No comments:

Post a Comment