Monday, October 5, 2009

goodreads




In the mood for a good book? A friend told me about goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/. You can chronicle all of your favorite books and search for other's recommendations based on "worst books ever" "books for reluctant readers" "best book cover art" and dozens of other categories and genres. It looks like fun, but I haven't really set up my whole account yet. It's a good thing that I check out everything I read at the library so I have a record of it, since I pretty much forget titles, authors and even content a few days after I return them. Oh well. Lately I've read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein - a book club assignment - written from a dog's point of view, which I had a hard time with for a bit, but then loved it - lots of great life lesson moments and even some racing techniques (confirmed with Shawn). Continuing with the animal theme I picked up Homer's Odyssey. No, not that Homer's Odyssey. This was another great read about a blind cat named Homer by Gwen Cooper.


 As a cat lover, I could relate to her house full of three cats (the first two were planned, but the third...an accident). Heartbreaking 9/11 scenes, but unbelievable account of Homer's life, even if you don't love cats, it will have you cheering and thinking of ways to get out of your your own box. Another NPR recommendation was about another Homer. Another blind Homer. Homer and Langely by E.L. Doctorow.



A somewhat fictionalized account of two real brothers, the Collyers, living on Fifth Avenue in New York at the turn of the century, through WWI and beyond. I'm in the middle (up to the 60s) and love it. Next up, just picked up today from the Mustang Library drive-thru window How I Became A Famous Novelist by Steve Hely.



Maybe I'll remember what's in that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment