Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Composting Update


My brown to green ratio was all off. My composting efforts were turning into a soupy, smelly mess. I was totally cleaning out the kitchen, loading up scraps in my pot on the counter - watermelon rinds, tea bags and coffee grounds which was all good green stuff. My problem was the brown. So I started spending more time outside and went gung ho on the brown. Raking my yard, shaking my trees, pulling weeds and grass and loading up the bin. It must have worked, because the other day I opened the top and it smelled so good! So earthy. Like nice soil. I didn't actually touch it or anything, but the ratios are balanced, the amount of trash being thrown out is way down and soon, hopefully, we'll see something that resembles dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment