Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wednesday Whine

Ouch.

I spent an hour and a half at a pain management support group tonight, doing a little research. Not for me. I don't have pain much. There's a touchy left hip that occasionally shouts at me (official diagnosis is Mild Bilateral Hip Osteoarthritis - so sexy, I know, from years, I think, of bad shoes, not enough exercise, too many pounds, and coming out of the womb totally flat-footed and pigeon-toed). But that's about it. So, really, I can't complain. But I do. I whine about the long walks I've had to do to get ready for this weekend's 10K. I don't do yoga much anymore, don't hike and don't use my stand-up desk at work very often because I'm tired. Poor thing. But tonight I was reminded of how fortunate I am. One guy remembered the day he fell down on the job and his life changed, 1/23/1967. One 42 year old remembered the day she was diagnosed with MS, 7/24/2011 (when her daughter was three). One lady can't garden anymore and can only eat white bread and cooked vegetables after years of meds and pain and surgeries have led to serious digestive problems. The leader talked about the importance of hobbies and friends and laughter and humor. It made me shut my mouth and truly appreciate all that I have. I came home and my walk around the block with my dog seemed more meaningful, after finding an amazing group for people who need that kind of support.

And for those that don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment