Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Proud Mama

The following words came out of Shana's mouth yesterday. "Mom, when have you ever embarrassed me?"

Yes! Success! I'd like to thank the Academy...! I had gone down to Tucson Monday night for her final softball game and slept over since it was past my bedtime. I was planning to get up and head home in the am. Get back to my life. Go to work. Argue with some insurance company. Smile at a sick patient. Take out the trash. Clean the cat poop. But Shana said, no, stay, come to class with me. I told her I didn't want to get in the way. I told her that I didn't want to embarrass her. That's when the glorious words came out. God, that kid. She has made the whole "let's have a baby" thing so easy. She's fun to be around. And I have been around. Maybe she's just so used to me attaching myself to her that she never knew embarrassment was an option. All the games and field trips and school bake sales and sneaking in to her classrooms to spy but always getting caught. She never did tell me to drop her off around the corner so none of her friends would see me. She never minded when I put on some bowling shoes and just played with the gang. But still, it meant a lot to hear her say it. She wanted me to be a part of her new life, somewhere I didn't think I belonged and I got to see the old Shana, the one that meets new people so easily, so unlike me. She introduced me to all of the kids and teachers she has known since January. January. The teachers adore her already. The kids are BFFs already. And she wasn't embarrassed. She was proud. And so was I. Thanks for a great day, baby.

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky in your girl, Lisa! And how lucky she is both in her mom and in her social ease. So did you learn anything at college?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes - all about the leadership and culture in Peru and Ecuador (or at least every fourth or fifth word of it) and how to sustain a successful relationship (5 positives to 1 negative when arguing helps) - all good to know!

    ReplyDelete