Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Go Artichokes

I used to be an SCC Artichoke and now I'm back. After finding out that my beloved Mothers Who Write class was full, I knew I needed some kind of class to keep my brain from turning to mush. Last semester I took an online writing class at Gotham which was amazing, but realized that I really need the face-to-face to keep me from cheating. So I went back to my old stomping grounds. Put on some ripped jeans and flip flops to try to fit in and signed up again. The questions started. What's your SS#? Got a driver's license? Yes. Is English your first language? Yes. Are you the first generation in your family to attend college? No. Has your car passed emissions? Uh, yes? When was the first time you moved to Arizona? 1965. OK, it looks like you would like to take a 200 level class. Do you have a signature from the instructor since you're new? Have you ever taken ENG 101 or ENG 102? I couldn't remember. Was it somewhere in the BA or maybe grad school? Was it here? At SCC? She looked me up. Lisa Segal. Old address. My Mom's old phone number from the seventies. ENG 101 and ENG 102, Fall '83 and Spring '84. I passed. I'm in. Go Artichokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment