Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yoga lesson of the day


After weeks away from yoga, I made it back to Mary. A new lesson. The meaning of life...here it comes...is not about living in a constant state of peace, it's also about the battles. Like the battle to leave my nice air-conditioned house and drive through the mirage-like steam of Phoenix in rush hour 1110 degree (Freudian slip typo and I'm leaving it) weather. The battle of the creaky knees due to a month without down dog or child's pose. Maybe those weren't the battles she was talking about, but I fought on and won big in the end. Peace.




only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over again to annihilation
can that which is indestructible arise within in.
In this lies the dignity of daring.
The goal of living life and inner peace
is not to acquire a state of harmony where nothing can ever trouble us-
inner peace allows us to be perturbed, to be insulted, moved, broken, battered, in order that we may discover
in doing battle
that which awaits us beyond the world of opposites.
We must have the courage to face life,
to encounter all that is most perilous in this world.

Karlfried Graf Durkheim

1 comment:

  1. Cool, Lisa. I get it. I may get sick of battling (does it have to be a battle for EVERYTHING?!) but I battle on.

    All that from Yoga. I love my Jazzercise, but there's rarely pearls of wisdom...

    ReplyDelete